Monday, December 7, 2009

Fire and Ice” by Robert Frost




I remember reading this poem in every grade through middle and high school. I think that this poem can be taken in many different ways, but I really do not think that it has to do with religion as many people usually associate it with. Frost uses the word fire to represent the desire, greed, and power of the human race, while ice is the hate, selfishness and coldness of humanity. I think what he is saying is that the world is going to come to an end because of one, either fire or ice, according to these meanings of the word. This poem could mean several things though and has been linked to religion, humanity and even the actual events of the ice age. I think the interesting thing about a poem is that no one person reads it the exact same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment